School has started and I am busier than ever! How about you? Does dinner time sneak up on you?
Those days I rely on 2 hard working small appliances…my basic no frills large sized crock pot and an 8 cup rice cooker.
Our rice cooker is used just about every week. Rice only takes about 20 minutes and is easy clean up. The insert goes right into the dishwasher.
Not the gasket lids!
Three pieces of advice…
Go large when buying especially if you have lots of company of family or friends.
Spring for the extra expense (if you can) for a rice cooker with a lid with a gasket! My rice cooker does not have one and rice water spews everywhere! Laying a towel around the base helps with the mess. I should have spent the extra money.
Never put gasket lids in the dishwasher. Never! The heat will ruin them. Inserts, yes, lids with gaskets no!
Rice proportions are 2 quarts water to 1 cup of rice. Rinse the rice 3 times before cooking.
A good cut of beef can be a bit pricey. Keep a look out for sales or the “yellow” past the sale date label discount. I do look at those dates to make sure it is still okay. I do freeze my meat.
It take about 30 – 45 minutes to cook the rice and prep the rest of the meal. Rice stays warm in the cooker for at least 20 minutes. Often I turn the “keep warm” button off so the rice on the bottom will not get overdone.
Traditional roast beef with gravy and rice teamed with a green vegetable or mixed salad is one of those Sunday meals we had regularly when I was growing up. It was also a “company’s coming” meal.
This is one of our favorite meals. I find it is especially nice for company because it tastes extra special but it is not time consuming to make. It take about 30 – 45 minutes to cook the rice, make the gravy and prep the rest of the meal. Rice stays warm in the cooker for at least 20 minutes. Often I turn the “keep warm” button off so the rice on the bottom will not get overdone.
When I make this there are yums all around and everyone is feeling the love. Food can do that you know.
My mom made this traditional roast in tightly wrapped foil placed in an iron skillet. It had to be tight and it had to be an iron skillet! She made the gravy right in the skillet. I use a crock pot with a sealed lid. I made sure it is on tight.
Sometimes I make mashed or other type of potatoes. For an easier no fuss meal, make rice in the rice cooker. Add a salad or a green vegetable to round out the meal. Yeast rolls or biscuits are perfect bread choices. If you are from the south or a biscuit lover, the gravy is delicious over the biscuit. You know what I am talking about.
Also, if making gravy is not your best dish, this one is almost fool proof!
Mom's Traditional Roast Beef
- 3 - 4 pounds bottom round beef roast or other nice cut
- I -2 envelopes of dried onion soup
- Gravy Ingredients
- 2 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons of water
- Pan Drippings from roast
- Put the roast in the crock pot insert
- Sprinkle dried onion soup mix evenly over the top. Use 2 if the roast is larger
- Cook on the low setting for about 6 - 8 hours or 4 hours on high
- Time will vary according to the weight
- Remove to a cutting board
- Let it rest before slicing
- Pour the pan drippings into a sauce pan and bring to a low boil
- Mix together well 2 tbls of cornstarch with 4 tbls of water
- Add a few tablespoons of the hot pan drippings
- Mix well then slowly pour into the sauce pan while stirring the liquid
- Bring to a gentle boil then lower to a slow simmer
- Stir occasionally
- Cook until desired thickness
Hoping your whole family loves this roast beef meal!