Grandpa’s Hash Brown Casserole was something my dad always made for us when we visited. Not only is it sentimental; it is delicious! The kids called it Grandpa’s Hash Brown Casserole.
It is Labor Day weekend. Kids are home. Football season starts and it is time to put away the white shoes. White pants and jeans too. Last weekend to go to the pool and time to gather family and friends for the last summer gathering.
Grandpa’s Hash Brown Casserole is the perfect side for this farewell to summer weekend gatherings. A hot side dish for picnics and BBQ’s.
It’ one of our family tired and true dishes that everyone likes. The kids took this recipe with them in Mom’s handwritten cookbook. If Rob couldn’t find it, he would call.
It’s one of those workhorse sides. Double and freeze the extra. Travels well and holds the heat. Heats up well if there are any leftovers. Delicious well liked side dish.
We call it after my daddy, Grandpa, who was made sure it was made just right without any shortcuts! Delicious with both breakfast and grilled meals.
What food plans do you have for this long weekend?
Grandpa's Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 32 oz bag defrosted hash brown potatoes cubed style
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 8 oz sour cream
- 12 oz grated block American or mild cheddar cheese
- 2 sticks of margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- Spread evenly defrosted hash brown in 12x9 casserole dish.
- Mix together well: soup, onion, sour cream, salt, cheese and one stick of margarine / butter melted Spoon over top of potatoes spreading evenly.
- Optional: mix all ingredients together before putting in dish.
- Top with crushed corn flakes and drizzle with 1 stick melted margarine / butter.
- Bake 40 -45 minutes at 350.
Enjoy the weekend!
maybe linking here
Savvy Southern Style Full Plate Thursday Wow Us Wednesdays The Scoop The-Inspiration-Gallery fabulously creative friday Be Inspired! Inspire Me Tuesday! Foodie Friday Share Your Cup Thursday BNOTP Shabbilicious Friday Foodie Friday Weekend Retreat Grace at Home Best of the Weekend Party