It was a sunny morning. I was feeling energized after a long week. You know one of those that just sap your energy. Our children from out of town came up. We love it when they come. Sometimes both come during the same weekend!
JIm and the boys relaxed at home. I went with Jessica and her babies to Target. Ours is better stocked than theirs. It was a pleasant shopping experience. In other words it wasn’t crowded. It was neat and sparkling clean. A welcomed non-stressful shopping trip!
It’s been awhile since I shopped in the infant aisles. One of hers at the time was still a young infant..
A lunch of hamburgers and hot dogs with Nancy and her kids who came to visit was easy. Comfort food. Sitting on the back porch in the sun. Comforting surroundings.
comforting food with family
Comfort and love upholds us all in uncertainty and calm.
So does prayer. That is a huge part of our spiritual practices every day. Comfort in Him.
I made chili for the visit. It’s simmering now in my Le Creuset Dutch oven. This pot is a work horse in my kitchen., I make chilis, soups, roasts and even hamburger pie! The slow simmer brings out the flavors as they melt together and fill my kitchen with comfort smells. Later today a roast will go into the crock pot. I thawed it last week but just didn’t work out timing wise to make.
Oh, the delicious smells evoke the feelings of all is well. Comfort.
mom’s comfort chili
My recipe is easy. It’s my mom, Omega’s. The key is browning the ground beef until cooked throughly and darkens in color before adding any other ingredients other than chopped onions. Mom was picky about what brands she used. Only Campbell’s Tomato Juice for the chili and McCormick chili powder was used. I do the same. My mom was not a “fancy” cook but oh boy! Did folks love her food!
Color is an important part of making good food!
Grandma Omega’s Chili
- soup pot with heavy bottom
- 1 1/2 lbs hamburger use lean hamburger
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 32 oz bottled (or canned)Campbell's Tomato Juice Mom used Campbell's only; she thought it was a richer taste
- 1 8 oz can Hunt's diced tomatos, unseasoned
- 1 8 oz can kidney beans drained drained
- 2 tbls Mc Cormick chili powder I use 1/3 -1/2 half of a 2.5 oz bottle
- salt to taste
- Throughly brown meat and onions in a skillet or heavy enamal iron pot. Cook until fully browned, not grey. Stirring often to prevent burning and for meat to cook throughly
- Skim off excess oil as needed
- Add all other ingredients except chili powder
- Add chili powder. Cover top of the chili with a light layer. Chili show be darker than a tylical tomato soup or sauce. Taste and add more as needed
- Stir throughly
- Bribg to a boil, then turn to low simmer
- Stir about every 20 -30 minutes
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed
- Cover and simmer for about 2 -4 hours stirring regularly
- Afrwe browing meat and oions, you can use a crock pot for the long simmer of the chili
- Delicious with the select toppings of sour cream, salsa, onions, shredded cheddar cheese or even mustard! Saltine crackers, tortilla chips, corn bread or cinnamon rolls on the side!
May you find comfort today with peace and hope.
. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no extra cost to you.