I made cranberry muffins and chicken salad this morning. Then I remembered…
my story of falling in love started on the Rhine
It started with muffins and chicken salad.
Years ago when Jim and I were lieutenants stationed in Stuttgart, Germany, we went on a day Rhine River cruise. I made muffins and chicken salad.
It was our first official “date.” It was perfect with the warm sun shining. As we gently cruised down the river past the castles of old, reminders of the past and with illusions of romance we ate the picnic food,
I think I may have fallen in love that day.
Now, back to this morning
Text messages between my son at work and husband this morning.
WJ These blueberries taste funny or…
JJ They’re cranberries.
Yes, the first chicken salad I had made in ages and he thinks they were made of old bitter funny tasting berries!
This chicken salad is that very special chicken salad from 35 years ago. We’ve been married 34. Update…43 this year!
Chicken salad does not last long in our fridge. It’s a delicious “grab it” for lunch or afternoon snacks. It’s good on crackers, bread and of course, muffins!
Pretty sure it will disappear quickly in your house too.
Cranberry Chicken Salad
- 2 large skinned chicken breasts Or one large can white chicken. drained
- 2 finely chopped celery ribs
- 1/4 cup cranraisins can substitute raisins
- 1 /2 cup mayo
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice.
- Almond slivers or chopped pecans
- Gently boil 2 chicken breasts.
- Drain and cool and chop cooked chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Finely chop 2 celery ribs
- Put all ingredients into mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Top with almonds or pecans for serving
- Makes 3-4 cups
Jim & I… thirty-four years later at Be Our Guest Restaurant in Disney World 2014